Thursday, December 6, 2012

Blonde!

First off, this past weekend was opening weekend of White Christmas! It was so much fun, and I'm looking forward to eight more performances and seeing it grow even better each time. The set came together gorgeously, and I feel so special to have gotten to be a part of that aspect of the show. I was honored to get to go to the "tech people" opening night party, haha. My older brother, Matthew, was able to fly in for the weekend to see it, so all of us Primm's were reunited!

 Here's a little show invite video from  my partner in crime and me that we did for some of her friends ;)


They say that "every woman should have the thrill of being a blonde. It gives you an automatic boost of confidence and it's just plain fun." What I failed to listen to was "make sure you get it done by a professional, especially if you have dark hair." Aside from the video above, here's the outcome in a couple of White Christmas photos: 





BUT, that didn't come without an almost hair tragedy!
I had been planning to lighten my hair to overall blonde for quite some time, and when Teya (Rhoda in White Christmas) and I were discussing show hair, I found it was the perfect timing to go blonde for the show so that I would contrast her reddish hair! In order to save money...famous last words when referring to hair...I did some research and decided to attempt it all by myself since I've had coloring success in the past. I purchased Clairol's Born Blonde, mixed the ingredients, received some help in application to the back of my head from my mom, and finished the rest. It was taking a bit longer than I had expected to lighten, and I had originally wanted to go Platinum, but was worried that my previous highlights were going to turn blue or another odd color, so I washed it out. At that moment I realized a BIG mistake--I forgot to add the liquid lightener (step #3) to the bottle! After it was dried, the outcome didn't look terrible, but it didn't look GOOD. It was yellowish and my previous lowlights were a weird red.That night I went to sleep and had nightmares about the hair, haha, and the first thing the next day I contacted my stylist friend. She reminded me about using toner when going blonde! Whoops--and I had even known that from past highlights! Off to Sally's Beauty Supply I went to purchase Wella toner, went home, applied it, used a deep conditioner, and VOILA! It was fixed!! 

Lastly, here's a photo from one of rehearsals of one of my favorite moments in the show:
Photo Credit: Willa Folmar

This is Lucia as Betty Haynes in the Regency Room scene singing "Love You Didn't Do Right By Me". Also during this scene, Bob Wallace sings "How Deep is the Ocean". Aside from my mom's giant chiffon curtain, my diamond curtain, artist Larry Wu's NYC painting, and the beautiful music...I want to point out Lucia. She's amazing. Every time I hear her voice I want to close my eyes and soak it in. She has been through so much this past month in her life AND to add to that--two days before the show opened, she was injured backstage and severely sprained a ligament in her ankle. If you look closely, you'll see the boot on her right ankle. She has been performing--including doing choreography in the song "Sisters"--with it--in spite of the pain! 







No comments:

Post a Comment