Friday, December 21, 2012

Rachelyn's Favorite Things: 2012 edition

Here's just a few of the things I've fallen in love with this year a long with an explanation. Some of these make excellent last minute stocking stuffers, presents for yourself, practical presents for other people, White Elephant gifts if you like putting practical things to watch people fight over them, or more presents for yourself. One day when the lovely Denise Boylan and I have an established TV show with lots of audience members, we will make a super long list with even cooler items and hire people to throw the items to our audience members. Kind of like Oprah. 


Relaxation:

  • Fleece Pajamas
      When Rebecca and I were visiting our brother Matthew in Hartford, CT to watch The Cherry Orchard and hear his underscoring, we went sheet shopping for him in pity of his lack of apartment items (starving artist AND a student).We settled on buying him fleece sheets, because we knew the cold days were coming and he needed more warm things. Once we made his bed to surprise him, we could not believe how soft and cozy they were! Well, we returned to NC, I looked for them in stores here for my Chicago bed, and they were nowhere to be found. BUT I found fleece pajamas and was excited at the thought being able to get up out of bed with that cozy softness when wearing fleece pajamas.  
      I feel so strongly about these, I've already purchased my mom and little brother some for their birthdays and want to give the rest of the family some for Christmas.

Rebecca and me in our fleece pajamas when midnight of 12/21/12  hit so that we would be wearing them when the "world ended" ;)

  • Green tea with Cinnamon
       No favorite in particular--any green tea sprinkled with cinnamon! Soothing, yet detoxifying, and a metabolism booster--times two!

  • Epsom Salt Baths
        Well, you can't give baths as presents, but you can give the Epsom salt...to yourself!
With my own bathtub here at home in NC, I've rediscovered how peaceful and relaxing baths are. I copied my mom in using Epsom salts in her bath with a splash of lavender body wash for bubbles. With benefits such as "eases stress and relaxes the body, relieves pain and muscle cramps, eliminates toxins from the body" and much more, how could you resist? 

  • Moisture Renewal Mask
          I didn't know a moisture renewal face mask was an important part of your skin care regimen until visiting a spa to redeem a gift package for a facial earlier in the year and talking a lot about skin. I use Mary Kay's (as I'm still a consultant) and it smells and feels delightful.


For when you have to be in front of a lot of people:

  • Luster Premium White NOW! Toothpaste
    While searching for nannying tips in Parent magazine, I read about the toothpaste's Bluevrite technology that creates the optical illusion of white teeth. The article was one on fast beauty tips for moms on the go. Instantly intrigued, I had to try it for myself, and it works!! 

  • "Not Your Mother's" Dry Shampoo
      I'm pretty sure my sister and I have tried every single dry shampoo available trying to find the perfect one. This one works instantly (no waiting for it to dry), doesn't white leave residue, and doesn't leave your hair smelling like lemon pine sol. Besides the obvious purpose to get rid of oiliness in hair, it works great as what I'll call a "hair primer" for easier styling, or for adding more volume. 

  • Got2b Volumizing Powder
       It's like magic! One second it's powder in your hands, and as soon you rub it into your roots under your top layer of hair, it disappears and adds EXCELLENT volume.

  • Mary Kay Oil-free Eye Makeup Remover 
       Ok, so I discovered this before 2012, but I just recently started using it as a painless false eyelash remover after shows.


Outdoor Winter Strolls:
       
  • Timberland Boots
       My first rain boots! Snagged these at Rugged Wearhouse (one of my favorite stores in the south) at an incredible price. Unique and warm. They'll be great for Chicago snow once lined or worn with wool socks!


  • Fleece-lined tights 
      Here's the fleece theme once more! I think it's self-explanatory now ;)


Music
       So many albums to enjoy this year, but this one is extra special...

  •  Alex Maryol's new album Six
        This past January I took a trip to Santa Fe, NM to visit dear friends Alex Maryol and Andy Primm, and ended up having such a memorable weekend (blog posting can be found here )
         When Alex was driving Andy and me through the Sangre de Cristo mountains, he played some of his songs from this (not yet named) album for us. Well guess what? The album has now been released! I may or may not have "Falling" on repeat as I've been typing this...

Be jealous of my signed copy. 

        
      




No comments:

Post a Comment